Lazada Philippines

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

What serving in Prison Have Taught Me




Working from home gave me the chance to arrange my schedule so that I can have time to attend or do the things that are close to my heart that ordinary employee can't do. (well, they can also do, but it would require great sacrifice because some of the things that I attended is during office hours)

Last 2014, I have decided to be part of the Prison Ministry so I called my leader to volunteer my time.  Our service is on weekdays so the service team was mostly seniors who dedicated their time and effort to serve in prison.

I was the youngest but they choose me to head the ministry.

Serving in prison makes me understand our PDL (Person deprived of liberty) more.

1. They are a child of God and they deserve love especially from their family

During our visits. Some PDL's would ask us a favor. Some would give us notes with a mobile number asking us to text the message. Most of the messages are a flea for a visit. (Of course, we ask the guard to check each note first to be sure that we are not violating anything).


2.  They long for acceptance

I have been serving in my community for more than a decade and I felt the huge difference during the part where we sing the song "Welcome to the family". (This is the signal that they have completed the 12 sessions Christian Life Program and are now part of the community)

What we normally do during that time is we go to the participants and gave them a hug or cheek-to-cheek or handshake to congratulate them for finishing the CLP program and becoming a member of the family ministry.

In a church-based set-up, the participants normally have a very wide smile in the face while we welcome them, but in the prison, most of them hugged me tightly and saying thank you while crying.

3. They have more connection with God.

They are more prayerful than me. Yes, I know, they have all the time in the world because they are don't have lots of activities like the rest of us because they are in prison, but even so, I sometimes feel guilty when talking to them because when we would ask them about their prayer time, you can feel their intense desire to pray more .. to be united with God. You can also feel that they already lifted up their lives to God.

Serving in the prison is not an easy task because aside from the time to set aside for service, one should be emotionally ready to listen and to give your love to the prisoners but all I can say is that it's all worth it.





No comments: